History of Parish

The parish church of Claregalway was situated in Lakeview, adjacent to the present church, while the parish of “Lydecane”, which is spelt “Lydacan has its church in Cregboy.
Records show that in 1484, the then Archbishop of Tuam gave the parish of St. Nicholas in Galway, which had been attached to his diocese since 1324, the status of “exempt jurisdiction”. Why he decided to give this parish a type of independence is unsure, but what is known is that he subsequently annexed the Parish of St. James at Balenclear (now Baile an Chlair).
Eventually these latter territories and others were assimilated, until a district was arrived at which corresponds basically to the present diocese of Galway.